Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Sharing is Caring

I love when people recommend books to me. I will read pretty much anyone's first recommendation because I think reading is a worthwhile pursuit, but also because I like knowing what people enjoyed. You can lose that privilege if you recommend a bunch of crappy things to me, but at least in the beginning: Bring on the recommendations!

However, recommending books for others I find very intimidating. It's not because I am ashamed or embarrassed by what I read, but it's because I don't want to give someone a story that won't speak to them. Or that they hate. Or that I really love (mostly for fear that they will hate it or dismiss my love of it). Intimidation aside, I love the exchange of ideas and understanding that happens when we discuss and share stories. So I try to overcome my irrational dread and recommend books based on what I know of the other person.

An acquaintance at work recently asked me for a few recommendations, which led to a great discussion about books, belief systems, and then a flurry of loaning. We each brought in three books for the other to borrow, and I am very excited to read her recommendations.

I lent her Margaret Atwood's The Robber Bride, Neil Gaiman's Ocean at the End of the Lane, and John Steinbeck's Cannery Row.

She lent me Ishmael Reed's Mumbo Jumbo, Jeanette Winterson's Written on the Body, and Ian McEwan's Atonement. I'll come back and let you guys know what I thought (and if she lets me know, what she thought).

Do you enjoy lending books, taking recommendations, and/or giving recommendations? Why or why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment