Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Marginalia

It's a divisive topic for readers--marginalia. Should you or shouldn't you? Do you like reading a book with someone else's marginalia, or does it drive you bonkers? I enjoy hearing people's stances on marginalia. It's also a good thing to know if I'm going to lend someone a book. Mostly because I love marginalia and almost all of my books are full of it. This can lead to hilarity when, for example, I give books to my students due to the fact that my marginalia is not always pg-13.

The last book I read I had borrowed from my friend, and it was great reading what she had written in the margins. It was like a discussion with her. I like re-reading with my own marginalia because I like seeing how my opinions have changed or stayed the same. In fact, I have arguments between my older and younger self in the margins of beloved stories.

What about you? Do you love or hate marginalia? 

No comments:

Post a Comment